Monday, May 30, 2005

Memorial Day Long Weekend

The Memorial day long weekend is a significant long weekend here in the states. The official significance of memorial day is to recognise the nation's thousands of combat veterens "which has a history dating back to the Civil war". I'm not going to make any political comments about the US's more recent combat initiatives as my opinions are best discussed offline. More information about Memorial weekend can be found here.

There are 2 other unofficial significances of this weekend:
  1. Start of Summer (and also summer hours at work)
  2. First long weekend of the year
To #1 it's great summer is here. I love snow and prefer cold weather to extreme heat but 25degC is a perfect temperature to do things. Chicago comes alive in the summer and there are festivals nearly every weekend in the summer season. Metromix, the Chicago Tribune's entertainment section is chocos with things do in the summer season - Blues festival, taste of Chicago just to name a few.

To the later well long weekends are few and far between here. Not like when I was back in Adelaide. Public holidays are the shiznic.

So with so much significance - official and unofficial - what did I do this weekend? Not really that much - at least nothing out of the norm. Friday I went to Korean BBQ for dinner (I'd review the place but can't remember the name) and then back to Fenwick's for a bit of 3 way xbox style. Saturday was spent playing a bit of sport, had a below par lunch at Pita House (doesn't deserve a review but I'm particular when it comes to yiros) and talking with my family for most of the night. Catching up with my sis & parents was great. I really miss them all. For Sunday there were high hopes of a big night and it started well with some decent fish'n'chips at an English pub called The Red Lion down in Lincoln Park. Being a bit of a college town we were hoping for a few places to be going off. But alas nothing was happening and after walking around in circles for a while we decided to cut our loses and call it a night. Monday was spent mostly doing work. How sad. But maybe it's kharma catching up with me. So all those hours that I spent at work doing other things besides project work have caught up. But why is it that I only get told on a Friday afternoon that they need something by Tuesday next week?

So in summary the weekend was slightly wasted. However this week I'll be flying out to LA for 2 reasons:
  1. Holiday
  2. Meet SY & drag her back to Chicago :)
I'm really looking forward to #2 but #1 will be good too. I've transitted through LA a few times but never really stopped off and checked it out.

Well that's about it. Gotta get back to some work. Happy Memorial Day!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home